The Internet is a wonderful place for work, learning and entertainment, but just like the real world, it can be at times dangerous. Allowing unrestricted access puts your business your family / your computer and your data at risk. In this series of articles we will explore the challenges that exist on-line and how you can minimise your exposure so that you can better protect workplace / your family and your personal computer(s).
There are a couple of points that we as Internet users & parents need to realise.
- We don’t know everything.
- But we need to know what we don’t know.
- Once you turn on your computer or connect with your phone / tablet you are exposing your Personal data to the Internet. – We will discuss ways to limit that exposure.
- Passwords are a necessity, not a scourge or a hindrance.
- Practically anything can be accessed on-line, from cute n’fluffy to pure nasty stuff. And age is no barrier.
- Your children may know more about accessing the internet than you do.
- They will be using the “latest” app or Social Media site before you are even aware it exists.
- As is always the case, as soon as you put a control system in place, their number one priority is to circumvent it.
- We teach them real life values, we need to teach on-line values also.
- When something is published / posted on-line, it stays on-line FOREVER! And those postings will turn up at job interviews.
- Education, knowledge and maturity do not necessarily go hand in hand.
- Children, even your little angel have the ability to be nasty and hurtful on-line.
- Children can now be isolated, bullied and scared in the “safety” of their own home.
- The importance of backups.
Over the coming weeks, we’ll delve into these points and more in greater detail, and hopefully we’ll emerge on the other side with:
- A healthy realisation of how wonderful the Internet can be.
- A realistic awareness of the pitfalls
- A simple set of steps that can help keep you and your family / business safer on-line.
The topics will include:
- Operating Systems
- Free Anti Virus Packages
- Cyber bullying
- Safer Browsing
- Social Networking
- How much should we share