Keeping your business & family safer online – 03
Create a secure Password:
- At least 8 Characters long.
- Easy to remember passwords can also be strong.
- Use a combination of uppercase, lowercase, numeric & special characters (e.g. &%!@[?><)
- Avoid words that can be found in the dictionary.
- Avoid using the same password for all sites.
- Use a phrase as the basis of your password.
For example, lets take a simple phrase like “In the garden” as a sample password,
- inthegarden will take an estimated 38.17 seconds to crack
- Capitalise the First letter of each word – InTheGarden, increases the time to crack it to 21.29
- Swap the letter “e” with the number “3” – InTh3Gard3n and the time to crack increases 6.12 Days
- Add in a simple “.” – In.Th3Gard3n and by todays computing power it will take an estimated 1.74 Centuries to crack
Note: These calculations are based on GRC’s Interactive Brute Force Password “Search Space” Calculator
Use a Password Tool:
LastPass is available in Free & Subscription packages (I highly recommend the Subscription – it is only $2 per month)
You just need to remember the password for your LastPass Account and it will remember or generate the passwords for everything else you log in to.